Changes to Unifications & Breakaways for the Americas

CessnaSkyhawk

Changes to Unifications & Breakaways for the Americas

Post by CessnaSkyhawk »

I feel like currently there isn't much variety to nation-building in the Americas aside from the USNA and SAU, so lets change that.

First of all, I think the USNA should be shrunken down to just NAFTA - the USA, Mexico, and Canada. This'll make more sense in a bit, but I feel like it lines up with gameplay as expanding the USA too much often isn't a good idea due to it being a military beatstick, and don't worry, there will still be pathways to larger unifications with it!

Mexico is one of the only 4-CP nations that doesn't really get any growth opportunities beyond its base, which limits it a lot. I propose giving it the ability to unify with the rest of Central America, and eventually to lead a Latin American Confederation consisting of all Spanish-speaking nations in the New World. It also could get a project for a "Reconquista" if End of America is researched. And yes, this means that with some shenanigans, you could get basically all of North and South America into the USNA for you map painters

I'd also change the Dominion of America, as right now Greater Dominion is frankly useless as its just a worse USNA, so instead, I gave it claims on most of the Caribbean and Central American, in line with some civil-war era goals I remember seeing in my history textbook. This also gives you another pathway to potentially making a big USNA, and gives the DoA a purpose.

Finally, I have one more option of a North American superstate, based off of the Association of Caribbean States. With all these additions, there's now multiple ways to unify North America, rather than eating up everything into the USNA.

As for South America, Brazil is the other kinda useless 4-CP nation, It has decent stats, but the only unification it can do is go into the SAU, which makes one of its main perks, its decent democracy score, irrelevant. Instead, I propose it could form a MERCOSUR based nation which while not as far-reaching as the SAU could still be useful in its own right.

All of these ideas are inline with my belief that ideally, as the AI improves, super-mega states become a bit less viable and instead of having like five nations total (Caliphate/UAL/AU, PAC, India, EU, USNA, and SAU), we can have a larger variety of smaller but still relevant nation states (Indonesia, South-East Asia, Republic of Southern Cross, Nigeria, Bantu Free State, EAF, Nordic Federation, and the like)

I also have some ideas for a couple additional breakaway states as well.

First of all, Hawaii is more populous than Alaska (and arguably maybe a little more relevant overall, but idk), but regardless, it gets shoved into the Pacific States while Alaska gets its own breakaway, so I think Hawaii should also get its own breakaway nation instead.

Western Canada and Sao Paulo are just two independence movements that I've come across online that I think could be interesting to have in game, and British Columbia as well also has the additional functionality in a post-US TI game of letting whoever owns Cascadia make British Columbia revolt and then unify rather than having to either go to war with or own Canada.

French Guiana technically doesn't really need to be a separate nation as its pretty minor, but as its home to the main spaceport of the EU, i think it adds some interesting counterplay as you could force it to breakway to deprive the EU of its main source of boost.

Finally, I just added a few additional breakaway states for End of America so that if you really want to you can just fully get rid of America. It always bugged me that Denver and Chicago don't have their own breakaways even though they do end up being culturally different from New York (the only other region that isn't claimed by a breakaway by default) It also adds an interesting dynamic as you could have three different factions (one with OG America, one with New American Union, and one with the Dominion) all fighting over Washington and by extension control of whatever other OG US territories still remain.

2alexey

Re: Changes to Unifications & Breakaways for the Americas

Post by 2alexey »

Isn`t the entire purpose of "Dominion of North America" to get Britain cores on US capitol, to then pull off "Greater Europe" federation annexing effectively all of north America?
CessnaSkyhawk

Post by CessnaSkyhawk »

2alexey wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:11 am Isn`t the entire purpose of "Dominion of North America" to get Britain cores on US capitol, to then pull off "Greater Europe" federation annexing effectively all of north America?
I’m fairly certain that’s not possible anymore - at least from what I remember Greater Dominion just gives the DoA claims on the rest of North America, which used to mean you could force the US capital into Canada so the UK could take it with Restored Commonwealth, but now that capital shifting doesn’t work like that anymore I don’t think it’s possible. IIRC Restored Commonwealth never gives the UK claims on the US capitals.
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

Why not go back even further, and re-introduce the pre-Columbian 'First Nations'?
Maya, Aztec, Inca and so on.
delor

Post by delor »

I actively like the Mexico/Brazil/Caribbean bits and making End of America let Hawaii detach. Some of this stuff is a bit silly, but if we can have the "Republic of New England", why not?

Personally, I'd love to see a "National Divorce" project that simply breaks up America into the red states and the blue states along the lines of, say, the 2020 presidential election outcomes. Besides being kind of cute, there's not just written science fiction that gestures at that but also GOP politicians openly talking about it in the modern day. (not that it seems like even a remote possibility right now, but since we're just playing a game with some speculative fiction...) Plus, those are nations relevant enough to be interesting if they pop up in the game, which is a plus.

Personally, I'd dump all of your tiny American subnations in the last image and have it be a two step process. National Divorce, followed by the blue states getting a project that splits them into the east coast and the west coast and the red states getting a project that splits them into the southeast and the northwest with maybe both having a claim on Texas.