Questions about training rookies and psi abilities in xcom long war ?

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
salilsurendran

Questions about training rookies and psi abilities in xcom long war ?

Post by salilsurendran »

Hello,
I am in December 2017 of the game and I have a bunch of 6 rookies who haven't even gone on a single mission. The problem being when there are specialized missions or swarming missions, I don't want to replace a seasoned veteran with a rookie and this might cost my squad more lives or missions. Since I took Brazil as my start country I do get 3 items when I use a phalanx armor so I could possibly take the risk and equip him with grenades and smoke. Once in a while I get a downed UFO where I take one rookie on the mission.
Another question I had was is there any use of giving mind fray to a support that has suppression. From what I see you can suppress an enemy everytime vs mind fray may fail. So I generally opt for neural feedback first.
What would be a good psi ability to give snipers? Do mindfray etc. work if in squadsight. Since my snipers are way behind the front line I don't know what will help them most
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: Questions about training rookies and psi abilities in xcom long war ?

Post by szmind »

Rookies - fire them/forget. Or quickly pick them on small UFO missions 3 at a time (flashbangs, shotguns and do the 'koabunga' - with some medic + HEAT gunner + officer to support). In December you should be getting experienced soldiers from Funding Council rewards/requests. I remember always having too many of them coming from rewards.

Mind fray vs suppression. Mind fray lasts for a few rounds during which your support(?) can do other useful things than constantly suppressing. For me suppression is the job of gunner/infantry rather than of support (medic/engineer) - but that is playstyle issue.

Sniper and psi: I see no use of any psi on sniper. You stated the reason - a sniper usually shoots from afar. And shooting is the best thing he/she can do. Using psi would be almost always inferior. With so few slots in psi lab you should always have better candidates. Always.