Will Terra Invicta be like Star Wars Rebellion?

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
The Guiding Light

Will Terra Invicta be like Star Wars Rebellion?

Post by The Guiding Light »

So I was jubilant to hear Terra Invicta will be a Grand Strategy game as opposed to XCOM which I think I'm pretty burnt out on and honestly given the scope and size of an alien invasion it makes more sense to tackle the BIGGER PICTURE than a couple squads across the ENTIRE WORLD somehow managing to repel an alien invasion or take down the Alien Occupation force. But I was wondering if Terra Invicta will be similar to an underrated gem like Star Wars Rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQwzf1e3jhE

Basically that game pitted the Empire vs. the Rebel Alliance and the game had a ton of asymmetry like the Empire would start out situated in a fortified system with powerful though limited navies but the Rebels would have the advantage in being able to move around the galaxy (cat and mouse since the EMpire has to recon planets to know if the Rebels are hiding there) and having a host of powerful heroes, diplomats, spies and more. The game was about trying to sway planets into your fold and either crush the Rebel Alliance (destroying the mobile HQ and capturing Mon Mothma and Luke) or liberate the galaxy (defeating the Emperor and Vader and retaking Coruscant). You did this by assigning heroes and units to planets, giving them missions like sabotage, diplomatic missions, planetary assaults, and more.

And i think it's a shame that not only did the game do poorly (the TERRIBLE UI and I think many expected Star Craft instead of a Grand Strategy Star Wars game) but no game really has tried to replicate the game's designs.

And I think Terra Invicta could be interesting if they played like a (modern) Star Wars Rebellion. You having to send diplomats to win over nations, commandos and agents sent in to perform missions to hinder the aliens, spies or reconnaissance teams to reveal the alien's strength in an area, assigning generals and leaders to augment your military forces.

In fact, what I said sounds familiar to what you guys summarized:

"The player must assemble a council of scientists, politicians, military leaders and operatives who can unite Earth’s squabbling nations with the ultimate goal of taking the fight to the aliens in the high ground of outer space."

So yeah, definitely excited for Terra Invicta :D So, will it be like SW Rebellion or like a Paradox game or something else?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Will Terra Invicta be like Star Wars Rebellion?

Post by johnnylump »

If you haven't tried the Star Wars: Rebellion board game, which came out last year, it's fantastic.
The Guiding Light

Re: Will Terra Invicta be like Star Wars Rebellion?

Post by The Guiding Light »

johnnylump wrote:If you haven't tried the Star Wars: Rebellion board game, which came out last year, it's fantastic.

I wish I had friends to play with :P Sadly I live in Asia where western boardgames (and westerners like nerds) aren't to be found anywhere :?

I heard it borrows a lot of elements from the actual game tho like assigning units and heroes to planets, and the victory conditions and so on.