Orbital mechanics and Newtonian physics

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
Gerdz

Orbital mechanics and Newtonian physics

Post by Gerdz »

been scouring your steam, and Kickstarter pages for anything on this but haven't found anything besides your brief blips about having Newtonian physics present in the game and a short top down 2d clip of it.

the question I have is how do you plan to implement transferring from body to body? it is going to be a point and click adventure based upon the fuel and mass of a spacecraft determining the time of arrival or is there going to be proper orbital mechanics taking into account the mass of local bodies and the ability to plot our own courses within the limits of our crafts starting from the basic burn and wait for arrival of chemical rockets, to the quicker constant burn until half way and then flip and deceleration burn you'd use if you had something like a fusion engine.

also the second question I have regarding your Newtonian implementation is combat regarding your top down 2d clip. is that our combat? is it only in a 2D space or is combat going to be in a proper 3d environment?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Orbital mechanics and Newtonian physics

Post by johnnylump »

Combat is 3d.

I'll detail the space transfer system in a few more dev diaries. In general, we're not going to ask players to plot burns or draw ellipses; the focus is on strategic positioning of your units. The plan is to model spiral, impulse and torch-type trajectories.
Trionwolf

Post by Trionwolf »

Personally i dont want a full orbital mechanic simulator, were i have to command every burn and run through the math. I understand some people like that minutia but i for one am not one of them. In a grand strategy i wouldnt want to have to calculate every burn.
Stefanum
Terra Invicta Alpha Tester

Post by Stefanum »

Calculating burns in general is crazy, but in the battle set up, it could be super useful. For example for purposes of accelerating around multiple high gravity objects to enhance the effectiveness of projectile weapons. With enough grav acceleration rail guns become imposing weapons.

Will you be able to put ships in high speed orbits so they can come into your battle?

Frankly, I can't imagine space battles without gravimetric drives, FTL stuff, or other non-newtonian propulsion that don't involve practically the entire solar system for acceleration and deceleration curves.

I would want to have a web of small gunships in various high speed orbits so that small adjustments could be made to get into combat quickly and be moving so fast that it would be difficult to fight against them. 5/6 railgun shots at relativistic speed would devastate almost anything I can think of.