A lead on the proton performance issues

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
Mash

A lead on the proton performance issues

Post by Mash »

I've been annoyed a lot about the proton performance problems (opening the ship editor or doing anything ship-related slows the performance to 1-2 FPS territory) and they seemed dxvk-related on a cursory inspection, so I made a DXVK bug report. However, one of the DXVK developers looked into the apitrace from my run and they said it looks like a bug with the game itself, specifically the game failing to free VRAM after loading textures into it.
Some quotes:
Something that's definitely noticable though: it creeps up to 12GB of VRAM. Pretty sure the 3070 only has 8, so it resorts to putting a lot of resources into regular system memory which can completely destroy performance in some cases. A lot of newer AMD GPUs have 16GB of VRAM, so I can definitely see why this would be less of an issue on those.
I strongly suspect this is a game bug. It creates a LOT of textures and never frees them.
My DXVK bug report: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/2990
mindbound

Re: A lead on the proton performance issues

Post by mindbound »

Having the same issues here (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 64 GB RAM). Reducing texture quality helps significantly, especially in the battle and ship designer screens, but isn't a proper solution.