AAA Feedback

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
bane

AAA Feedback

Post by bane »

Hey guys,

After 100 h, I wanted to give you some feedback from an industry veteran perspective, being a director myself for many years. I hope it helps the project in the long term because I love your game, and it has potential. And ping me, please, if you need more info or support, i.e. financial. :)

UI

If the actual strategy gameplay is fine, the UI is usually why a strategy game fails. You might want to focus on the UI dev of TI with top priority because it is, from what I've read on Steam and IGN, and what I've seen on YouTube, your only weakness so far. A few tips:

- The Alien Threat Level is your most important mechanic. Do not hide it. Add it to the main screen, left to the speed meter. Why? If you have a mechanic that guides the AI and the player's game pace, make it prominent -- much like you show other resources. The threat level is a resource in terms of game design. And it is more important than any other resource in TI.

- Currently, almost all players with < 50 h experience complain that they do not understand the Alien Threat Level, on when and how to react, when to attack, or on how to prevent an attack. Now, TI is played over dozens of hours. It means you are punishing the player playing your game for dozens of hours without telling him on what to do and how to prevent mid-game losses. This is not how XCOM or CIV6 are designed, for instance, since a good game design always makes it possible to somewhat recover to a certain degree. In TI, however, the game not only leaves you alone with that, but there is absolutely no way to recover past 2030-35 if you played too aggressively -- without knowing that you should be non-aggressive, right? Therefore: Edit the Alien Threat Level tooltips. Remove the redundant text. Add proper instructions. Also, add hints on Alien Threat Level changes to every action, every building in the game, if they affect the Threat Level. Why? Because this is your most important mechanic and resource. And yet you hide all the info from the player. You literally can see right now how the YouTuber MrPotatoWhiskey gave his best but then, after dozens of hours, loses everything because of this lack of info. Yet this is dozens of hours of gameplay, so: if you do a game for so many hours, be transparent about mechanics and instructions. Learn from Paradox Interactive in this regard because you are not a game of only a few hours of gameplay where you can easily start over. It is almost the only reason why you received a IGN review of 6/10 only. Fix that with top prio, please, and it'll be fine.

- Even though the "assignment turns" are one of the most important mechanics in the game, you do not show it in the UI. When I played the game for the first time, I almost refunded the game because it did not tell me why I was unable to move my counselors. Do this: Do not hide the info on when the next "phase" starts. Show a phase progress bar between the resources on the left, and the Alien Threat Level/date on the right side. As a progress bar that goes 0..100 % with a nice tooltip and title "Mission Phase" or so. To make it absolutely clear how it works. Because in turn-based games the "turn" indicator is like a clock. You should never hide it. And TI is a turn-based game above all.

- The tech tree UI is horrible. Add building icons to the tech tree bubbles, please, so that it becomes clear what to expect. It is also a horrible UI design when you try to do the obvious thing that we all know from CIV6: What tech do I need for this building? What building do I need to do this?

- In late game, when the councilors become overpowered and the game breaks a bit, it is more important to see more details. How safe is my nation? It is not safe if the alien counselors can turn it in 4-5 turns, right? Even though it is a huge EU Federation blob. The balancing issue aside here: the game UI does not tell you in what danger your nation is at that point and on how to prevent it. MrPotatoWhiskey lost all 3 of this federations like this within a few turns, and he stated rightfully that he had no idea on what to do about it because the game does not tells him. Again, think of all these things as a resource (much like time is a resource), and then it becomes more clear on why the UI matters.

- Land army movement: Navies are the best because it is so much easier to move them to distant shores. Land armies, on the other hand, are not fun to use if you play across multiple provinces. Instead of a complex feature, maybe make it possible to select any region with access to? Then the army simply moves there. No need for waypoints. Just mark the distant target.

- The space combat UI is confusing and hard to use. I'm sorry to say that because it seems that you spend a lot of time on it but it is horrible. I'd love to do tactical space combat but it is not fun, overly complicated, and the camera and waypoints are just confusing. So, all I did eventually was either "auto-resolve" or "auto combat with AI". Tip: Either make the space combat board flat and an RTS, like that Warhammer 40k space combat game. Or, think "Star Wars Rebellion", how space combat was done there.

General

- Please keep in mind that all strategy games that are played for 50-60 h suffer from the same problem. If you do not inform the player properly on how to play, his 50-60 h of lifetime are lost and there is a high chance that he will not come back. Therefore: Shorten the time span. Keep the time frame (2023-2050-ish) but double the time missions take. You could also halve the tech costs, but I guess that doubling the mission time (1 mission per month) will speed up the game greatly, if you adjust the rest. Add another speed level, perhaps too then. Why? So that the game can be finished after 20-30 h. Think XCOM. 20-30 h are reasonable. But if TI is so complex and is bad at the UI info, it takes too many real-life hours to have even a small chance in 2040/50 against the aliens, right? There are in game design only 3 choices for this problem: Either you shorten the game time to a reasonable amount, you make early mistakes less punishing in the long term (but allow the player to always recover from his beginner mistakes: learn from Paradox Interactive in this regard), or you learn from Paradox Interactive even more and become better at informing the player about every small info and data, to the smallest digit, with extra tooltips and tips. Think of time as a resource, and you'll get the point better.

- Diplomacy is not cool and fun in TI. But it should be. Make it so that you can talk to other leaders any time. And, make the non-aggression pact or any form of "alliance pact" useful in the game. Right now, if I sign a non-aggression pact, the AI takes away counselors from me anyway. I cannot sign a new NAP with them, but it also does not show in the "relations" overview anymore. But diplomacy should be at the core of this game, right?

Mission Assignments

The missions are great, on the one hand, and tedious, on the other hand. I've been wondering how we would have solved the mission gameplay.

- Frankly, I do not have a solution for this problem yet but it is an issue that needs to be tackled, right? The repetitiveness of the mission assignments is not a strength if you do the same mission repeatedly in different regions and nations. It has to be done, it is not fun, so it quickly feels like work. It is an issue of all mission-based games where you assign characters to some form of mission. But in TI is a major thing, apparently, due to the scale at which you use missions as a core mechanic.

Late Game Balancing

If you trick the game and play well, you do not run into this issue easily, but if you play average, the late-game balancing is a disaster.

- As soon as you lose a few of your major counselors, which RNG can do, TI punishes you without a solution. There is no way to recover from the loss of a few major characters. XCOM was always great at that, as that even new fighters were somewhat usable. Also, you lost so many fighters eventually that it got used to. In TI, however, the game expects you to hold your counselors without harm until the very end. Because if you lose 1-2 major counselors, your game will be likely lost -- if you are > 2035. Right? MrPotatoWhiskey is fun to watch in this regard. He is losing eventually, although he holds 3 large federations, because he lost all his counselors and the new ones are worthless, cannot stop anything, cannot hit or change anything. That is a late-game balancing issue that you must fix. Either make the counselors more redundant (like in XCOM) or more replaceable (if I lose an important counselor, why am I unable to spend 1000 points for a new kickass counselor? not as good as the previous one, but also not a cheap 60 points beginner worthless character).

- Why is it possible to turn the EU, USA or India so easily with a coup d'etat in mid to late game? Whatever you build, whatever you do, one single counselor can turn your whole federation into dust in one turn? That makes no sense, and it is also not fun to play.

- If space stations are important and exclusive, that is it is a small crew number, why is it so extremely easily to take over other space stations? It is very easy to exploit this mechanic by simply take over all of them. But wouldn't we expect that it is harder to let unwelcome on a station?

Alien Storytelling

- Like the IGN reviewer said, the aliens feel shallow and invisible in TI. Where is their story and perspective? It is okay at the beginning when you barely encounter them, but mid to late game there should be the aliens speaking to the public, right? Think XCOM, on how much personality and character the aliens had? Think of other alien invasion films and TV series, where the alien agenda is told through the aliens too. In TI, however, the aliens seem to be just ships, armies and counselors -- of which none tell anything, explain themselves, or try to tell anything relevant. That is surely not how any alien invasion would have taken place, unless the aliens plan a total annihilation of humanity which apparently is not TI's storyline.

:)
KinSeth2

Re: AAA Feedback

Post by KinSeth2 »

bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am - Currently, almost all players with < 50 h experience complain that they do not understand the Alien Threat Level, on when and how to react, when to attack, or on how to prevent an attack. Now, TI is played over dozens of hours. It means you are punishing the player playing your game for dozens of hours without telling him on what to do and how to prevent mid-game losses. This is not how XCOM or CIV6 are designed, for instance, since a good game design always makes it possible to somewhat recover to a certain degree.
I fundamentally disagree with this. The game isn't telling you exactly what to do. The Alien threat level is super useful to know, and you get an indicator for it in the intel screen. It's an unreliable indicator, and like you said I got to a point where I was too aggressive that I effectively lost my first game. That's when I knew this was a good game. This game has a function of an unreliable narrator in it. I appreciate this. I appreciate that this is a game that is going to check your knowledge of the game and make you lose a few before you win. Dear god, I absolutely love that there is a game that will let the player lose and learn without spelling everything out for them on the first playthrough. I understand the desire for a transparent game where you play with all info, but not all games need to be that way. I love that this game doesn't spell out the path to victory for you. I love that this game doesn't outright tell you what you should care about. I love that this game lets you lose. I love that this game lets you learn through experience.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am Even though the "assignment turns" are one of the most important mechanics in the game, you do not show it in the UI. When I played the game for the first time, I almost refunded the game because it did not tell me why I was unable to move my counselors. Do this: Do not hide the info on when the next "phase" starts. Show a phase progress bar between the resources on the left, and the Alien Threat Level/date on the right side. As a progress bar that goes 0..100 % with a nice tooltip and title "Mission Phase" or so. To make it absolutely clear how it works. Because in turn-based games the "turn" indicator is like a clock. You should never hide it. And TI is a turn-based game above all.
This is... such a weird comment. It absolutely spells this out for you in the tutorial if you actually read it. Game start is every week. When it changes to every 2 weeks, it tells you. There is a calendar at the top. I'm never thinking "When do I get to redo assignments?" There are certainly things in this game that could use some better clarification, (Lookin at you, priorities, with all your dirty little hidden stats) but I don't think that this is it.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am - The tech tree UI is horrible. Add building icons to the tech tree bubbles, please, so that it becomes clear what to expect. It is also a horrible UI design when you try to do the obvious thing that we all know from CIV6: What tech do I need for this building? What building do I need to do this?
... Yeah pretty much. I think the irritation would be less if the tech tree could load instantly instead of lagging the game. The UI for this aspect is trash and everyone knows this. It's more important than a Civ Tech Tree but it's not nearly usable enough to be enjoyable to navigate or plan things. I think that a bit of loading optimization, some rebalancing or at least rewording is needed. (Layer Defence arrays require point defense array research but are listed as unlocked under High energy lasers which is a pre-requisite for Infrared combat lasers which is a prereq for point defense arrays.. ???) I honestly think a large portion of it could be solved by sorting these sciences into their branches and putting proper tier labels on them.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am In late game, when the councilors become overpowered and the game breaks a bit, it is more important to see more details. How safe is my nation? It is not safe if the alien counselors can turn it in 4-5 turns, right? Even though it is a huge EU Federation blob. The balancing issue aside here: the game UI does not tell you in what danger your nation is at that point and on how to prevent it. MrPotatoWhiskey lost all 3 of this federations like this within a few turns, and he stated rightfully that he had no idea on what to do about it because the game does not tells him. Again, think of all these things as a resource (much like time is a resource), and then it becomes more clear on why the UI matters.
I'd be lying if I said I understood how my hyperdeveloped pan-asian-union which is censored to hell, has some bastard with 12 persuasion come up an have an 88% chance of success to sway the public. It's a major irritation. If I have intel on the councilor, let me see his modifiers.

bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am Land army movement: Navies are the best because it is so much easier to move them to distant shores. Land armies, on the other hand, are not fun to use if you play across multiple provinces. Instead of a complex feature, maybe make it possible to select any region with access to? Then the army simply moves there. No need for waypoints. Just mark the distant target.
Yes. This. Please.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am The space combat UI is confusing and hard to use. I'm sorry to say that because it seems that you spend a lot of time on it but it is horrible. I'd love to do tactical space combat but it is not fun, overly complicated, and the camera and waypoints are just confusing. So, all I did eventually was either "auto-resolve" or "auto combat with AI". Tip: Either make the space combat board flat and an RTS, like that Warhammer 40k space combat game. Or, think "Star Wars Rebellion", how space combat was done there.
Disagreeing again. I don't mind this. Could it use refinement? Sure. But it's something new. Please do not remove it. I feel it is a workable option and with a stronger tutorial on how to operate it, it will be a working system. This guy almost refunded the game due to not being able to move a councilor and some people will be that way, but for someone like myself who is horridly bored with the gaming industry, please do not get rid of the things that make this game so beautifully stand out. For the people that dont want to take the time to learn and master it... to the Autoresolves and AI fight with you! Don't screw it over for those of us that enjoy the depth of that combat system. If you want combat like those other games, go play those other games. We don't have somewhere else to go. I like this combat system.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am Please keep in mind that all strategy games that are played for 50-60 h suffer from the same problem. If you do not inform the player properly on how to play, his 50-60 h of lifetime are lost and there is a high chance that he will not come back. Therefore: Shorten the time span. Keep the time frame (2023-2050-ish) but double the time missions take. You could also halve the tech costs, but I guess that doubling the mission time (1 mission per month) will speed up the game greatly, if you adjust the rest. Add another speed level, perhaps too then. Why? So that the game can be finished after 20-30 h. Think XCOM. 20-30 h are reasonable. But if TI is so complex and is bad at the UI info, it takes too many real-life hours to have even a small chance in 2040/50 against the aliens, right? There are in game design only 3 choices for this problem: Either you shorten the game time to a reasonable amount, you make early mistakes less punishing in the long term (but allow the player to always recover from his beginner mistakes: learn from Paradox Interactive in this regard), or you learn from Paradox Interactive even more and become better at informing the player about every small info and data, to the smallest digit, with extra tooltips and tips. Think of time as a resource, and you'll get the point better.
Wow. Screw you, guy. I like this game because I can sink a week into it. My choices have impacts and I feel I am playing a game of inches. Again, just because it's not the game you want, doesn't mean you gotta come in and screw those of us that have been waiting for a nice, slow burn game. A game where we can ACTUALLY lose. I think you are totally right that fewer people will be interested in this game because people don't have the attention spans for this type of game. However, those that you do get will swear up and down by it because it's not the type of game you see often! I said it above already. Don't get rid of what makes this game great and different. I have agreed with you on some points, but you are trying to turn this game into another game entirely.

bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am Diplomacy is not cool and fun in TI. But it should be. Make it so that you can talk to other leaders any time. And, make the non-aggression pact or any form of "alliance pact" useful in the game. Right now, if I sign a non-aggression pact, the AI takes away counselors from me anyway. I cannot sign a new NAP with them, but it also does not show in the "relations" overview anymore. But diplomacy should be at the core of this game, right?
I suspect this is something that is barebones at the moment and to be worked on later. The AI would need to be adjusted first so they are a bit less erratic and more... able to stand on their own without the player coddling their chosen... meat shield? But overall I agree.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am Frankly, I do not have a solution for this problem yet but it is an issue that needs to be tackled, right? The repetitiveness of the mission assignments is not a strength if you do the same mission repeatedly in different regions and nations. It has to be done, it is not fun, so it quickly feels like work. It is an issue of all mission-based games where you assign characters to some form of mission. But in TI is a major thing, apparently, due to the scale at which you use missions as a core mechanic.
I don't know if I agree or not on this one. It's hard. Your councilors are basically your primary interaction with the game. I think a lot of it just comes down to making it an option upon setting the councilor to a task to have them repeat it instead of the pop up on completion. Let it be a bit more fire and forget and you can shuffle them if needed. Like a default mission for them so it's not like you have to mess with them every single time. But then you encourage lazy and poor play which can get you punished so how much are you going to do it anyway? I think overall it could be fine. Some more events occurring to break the monotony could be good. Some you actually need to respond to rather than a pop up "choice". Maybe some new, dynamic actions for the councilors to act a bit more in tandem. It's fine as is, but just needs a bit of polish. I say it's early access.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am - As soon as you lose a few of your major counselors, which RNG can do, TI punishes you without a solution. There is no way to recover from the loss of a few major characters. XCOM was always great at that, as that even new fighters were somewhat usable. Also, you lost so many fighters eventually that it got used to. In TI, however, the game expects you to hold your counselors without harm until the very end. Because if you lose 1-2 major counselors, your game will be likely lost -- if you are > 2035. Right? MrPotatoWhiskey is fun to watch in this regard. He is losing eventually, although he holds 3 large federations, because he lost all his counselors and the new ones are worthless, cannot stop anything, cannot hit or change anything. That is a late-game balancing issue that you must fix. Either make the counselors more redundant (like in XCOM) or more replaceable (if I lose an important counselor, why am I unable to spend 1000 points for a new kickass counselor? not as good as the previous one, but also not a cheap 60 points beginner worthless character).
Agreed. It hurts a lot. This could be solved a few ways. Let us FULLY turn enemy councilors, expand cybernetics to be able to make us a stronger start point for our councilors, spend a bunch of influence for a better councilor, have the councilors that are available as the game goes on change to new types so it's a choice for the player to keep an old one or change to a new one, and no matter what of these are done, stop pausing the game on the exact day our org pool is too big. Let it wait til next mission phase.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am - Why is it possible to turn the EU, USA or India so easily with a coup d'etat in mid to late game? Whatever you build, whatever you do, one single counselor can turn your whole federation into dust in one turn? That makes no sense, and it is also not fun to play.
Unrest causes this. Big federations are easier to topple. That makes a lot of sense. A lot more voices and cultures are being represented. Plenty of historical reference. I've yet to lose a big federation to this sort of thing unless I let unrest get too high, or I take too much land into one federation.
bane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am - Like the IGN reviewer said, the aliens feel shallow and invisible in TI. Where is their story and perspective? It is okay at the beginning when you barely encounter them, but mid to late game there should be the aliens speaking to the public, right? Think XCOM, on how much personality and character the aliens had? Think of other alien invasion films and TV series, where the alien agenda is told through the aliens too. In TI, however, the aliens seem to be just ships, armies and counselors -- of which none tell anything, explain themselves, or try to tell anything relevant. That is surely not how any alien invasion would have taken place, unless the aliens plan a total annihilation of humanity which apparently is not TI's storyline.
I havent looked at any reviews, influencers, or content creators for the game. My opinions are 100% my own. I have not yet had a fully successful run in which I achieved victory. I am on my third attempt and loving it. That said, I do agree to a limited degree. The story unfolds via text. Add more text sliders, a bit more events of things the aliens are doing or saying in the late stage, and this is pretty much addressed.

Overall, I love this game. I love what it is going for. I agree with you on some points, but you should stop pushing for them to make it more like other games. This game is doing well in large part due to it not being like those very other games. If you want those other games, go play them. Not every game needs to be for you, and there are damn few games that appeal to me and my friends like this one does.
Ashery

Re: AAA Feedback

Post by Ashery »

In response to new councilors being weak in the late-game:

You're forgetting that organizations play a huge role in determining stats. Combine those with the 120xp you can get from techs and a slew of cybernetic implants, and your fresh recruit should be in a decent place stat wise. Were I in your place, my worry would be more about the possibility of assassination, as it's pretty easy to assassinate low-to-mid security councilors and it takes a ton of investment to fully deck out a new councilor.

As an example, in my current game it's June 2030 and these are the stats for my latest recruit (Operative) with just a few levels under his belt and only the first tier of cybernetics: 14 Investigation (8 from orgs), 17 Espionage (8 from orgs), 6 Command (1 from orgs; low priority currently), 25 Admin (23 from orgs), and 11 Security (4 from orgs). The stats aren't particularly great, especially when compared to my starting councilors, but he's far from useless. He also has 7/25 of his admin cap directed towards economic orgs instead of ones that boost his core stats, so switching those out to focus on Espionage could easily put him at ~18 Investigation and 24 Espionage. Those would be respectable numbers at this stage in the game, especially compared to the AI's councilors.

I might post more thoughts later, but other than on this point I largely agree with Kin's points of disagreement.