frequent CTDs on pod reveals

Troubleshooting instructions here
rift

frequent CTDs on pod reveals

Post by rift »

Hello,

I experience frequent CTDs during missions, and I think it always happens on the same turn when I reveal one or multiple pods. In particular, it happens when:
- I move a soldier to a specific tile and it reveals multiple enemies. The reveal triggers a CTD.
- If the reveal itself doesn't trigger a CTD, then switching to another soldier during the same turn triggers a CTD

The CTD is persistent, i.e. reloading and executing the same exact action triggers the CTD.
This happens once every few missions, and it usually happens when I reveal multiple pods. I end up having to restart the mission and play it differently to avoid the exact circumstances. And even then I sometimes get another CTD.

I've reinstalled the game, reloaded the save file and it still crashes. As an example, I've provided a link to a 'bad' save file during a terror mission. Here I've just revealed most enemies on the map, and simply switching to the rocketeer crashes the game.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rJ0 ... 3doeXhwWDQ

Would anyone please try the save file and let me know if it crashes for them too? Any help would be appreciated. I'm desperate. :-(
Thank you very much.
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: frequent CTDs on pod reveals

Post by szmind »

Well, I can say for now that the file crashes for me two.

In the log are there some lines that show errors loading textures (mesh, debris, armor, equipment). Do you have any additional custom mods adding extra armor-deco and so on? That might be the issue..

Just before crash the LOG says (tells me nothing :):

[0063.66] Log: === Critical error: ===
Fatal error!

Address = 0xe4731e (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
Address = 0x105e6bd (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
Address = 0x12bf4a0 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
Address = 0x12bf21c (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Post by szmind »

I can see sth awkward and that must be causing CTD. The rocketeer and the scout (looks camouflaged, next to pillar) - both and only them causing CTD - have mind merge over their head. Like sectoids do. But the link (the floating thread) goes to some distant target - way beyond line of sight. It 'goes there' not 'comes from'. Like the soldiers mind merged with sth. But what???
Only these 2 soldiers are causing CTD, others not.
rift

Post by rift »

Thank you! So I'm not losing my mind. At least I know it's not just me.

I don't have any mods installed other than LW. I just noticed that mind merge on the rocketeer coming from nowhere. I don't know how this happened.

Well, it just happened again. A fresh new terror mission, I haven't even moved my soldiers yet. I have attached the last few save files here, including a save from my base right before this mission.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rJ0 ... UNRRVV4cGM

Here it takes just two moves to trigger a crash in the very beginning:
1. move the scout (he has concealment) to the burning truck on the right side and take the full-cover on the left corner of the truck. The scout will reveal a pod of floaters but won't activate it because he is concealed.
2. Mind control the 'warmaster' floater in the middle of the pod. This activates two more pods of cryssalids and the game crashes.

That's it. Again, it happens when many enemies are revealed. That's the only common thread that I can tell.