How long until you moved on?

Dwarfling

How long until you moved on?

Post by Dwarfling »

So I finally moved on from LW2. My last save is from June 5th 2018. My first post here was on January 28th 2017, which I estimate is around the same time I started playing. Which means I played this game, almost non-stop, for 1 year and 4 months. "Almost" because I was forced to stop for a month when I was on vacations and didn't have my PC with me. I think that's the longest I've ever played a single player game in my life, possibly any game because I don't recall spending as much time with League of Legends. And this was pretty much the only game I really played, I really didn't get any sense of accomplishment from other games.

I think it's a testament of what Pavonis pulled off here with this mod. Good job.
cryptc

Re: How long until you moved on?

Post by cryptc »

I didn't play it exclusively for such a long time, but I keep returning from time to time, and expect I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Anything else out there worth playing? Not Xenonauts... That game is way too ugly to bear.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Phantom Doctrine is out in a month.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

johnnylump wrote:Phantom Doctrine is out in a month.
Huh... I didn't even know this was coming. Looks interesting and I don't have too long to wait. Cool, thanks! This is a vibe I can get into.

As much as I love long LW2, after a couple campaigns it kinda has a "been there" feel to it. Prolly because I've played every XCOM since the franchise started...
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

What do you mean 'moved on'? Is there a LW3? :D

I keep wandering off to play other games every now and again, but soon return after seeing how shallow the tactics and strategy are compared to LW2. My last such detour was Battletech, which turned out to be an empty and repetitive experience.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

This conversation had me thinking about new games and what was out there. So I checked YouTube and found video clips and trailers for upcoming titles of various genres. Jeeze, it’s still 1997 in game development. Actually it’s worse. Games are shinier, but they seem much less interesting.

They are not even as good as the old counterparts they are copying. They are all derivative of something I've seen before, which honestly makes me think game design and innovation must have peaked about 20 years ago, which is a sad testament to the lack of creativity in that market.

I watched a few missions from the demo of Phantom Doctrine and it's the most interesting to me of the bunch, but it looks as though all the missions are scripted which will probably limit replayability.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

I stopped for a month after I finally won a L/I campaign but have drifted back. More casual now probably and I find it tricky to get established in Legend (and don't want to go back). But still after well over 1000 hours it's more engaging than anything else.

Looking forward to Phoenix Point. I've resisted playing the backer builds as I want the complete experience.

I will check out the game JL mentioned.

Anyone excited for Necromunda or is there an expectation it will suck?
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

I used to play a mixed ruleset of Necromunda and 40K specifically as a tabletop XCOM back in the day, I didn't know they were bringing it to the PC!
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

In principle an xcom version of 40K, which sounds awesome but...

It's not out until next year. Their previous game Mordheim was regarded as flawed, though I never played it personally. Not a lot is really known about this new game.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

SpinDoctor wrote:Anything else out there worth playing? Not Xenonauts... That game is way too ugly to bear.
Battletech is pretty fun, but is quite light-weight compared to LW
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

After having watched a few missions of Phantom Doctrine, I'm thinking it might be too tedious for me to get into. Every little action has to be performed bit by bit. I may give it a tumble, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I'm done with new PC Gaming. As I get older, it could be that I don't have the patience (or free time) for it.

I think my best bet for good gaming is to prolly buy an XP machine or even a Win 98 machine (if that's even possible) and just replay the 30 or so games that have been stuffed in a closet for 20+ years.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

"Move on" is vague. There's "I don't play it anymore", there's "I don't check in on the community anymore" and finally there's "I don't remember the mechanical details anymore". Stage 1 of moving on is just life. Stage 2 is how you gauge 'longevity' - if a new player were to show up asking for advice on these forums, you'd still see veterans showing up to explain the ropes. We can continue to enjoy the game through stories even if we no longer set aside time to play it ourselves.

I can still derive entertainment from Dwarf Fortress or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup despite not having played them for years. Likewise, I haven't stage2 moved on from LW2.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Desslok

Post by Desslok »

*checks steam* After sinking over 1000 hours into longwar2 I've started spending time on other things. The drive to play does wear off once the updates dry up... especially after completing the game on numerous occasions. I've found myself goin' back to my previous loves - Eve Online & Mechwarrior online, Tho i have dabbled in Battletech & Path of exile since LW2 let me go from my addiction :)

That said, i DO have an unfinished LW2 campaign i will complete .. now that you've all reminded me. Gotta get it done before Phantom Doctrine comes out not to mention Pheonix Point and umm terra invicta :)

Better get back to it then!
Insufferable Smartypants

Post by Insufferable Smartypants »

There is no moving on. Not for me.

I went from X-Com: UFO Defense in 1994, to the Jagged Alliance and similar titles, to UFO, back to XCOM: EU/EW, then Long War. XCOM 2 to LW2 to WotC. Looking forward to LWotC if it ever gets off the ground. Will play Phantom Doctrine, Phoenix Point and more XCOM 2 while I wait for XCOM 3.

Pretty sure I'll be playing these games until I die.
choppytehbear

Post by choppytehbear »

I haven't even launched XCOM 2 since 2015.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Phantom Doctrine got boring pretty fast. Same with WOTC. Phoenix Point doesn't look all that interesting to me. I'm done gaming for the most part. Been there. I'll probably run another LW campaign at some point, since it really is the best game ever. But the new stuff has like zero depth.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

SpinDoctor wrote:But the new stuff has like zero depth.
I think like this hits the nail on the head regarding the new game offerings. Most of the games once I feel like I "get it" I can cruise thru the game and I don't feel compelled to even finish it, maybe just for completion's sake. LW2 was different in that it threw curve balls so often that even if I "got it" and there were periods during a campaign I felt superior to ADVENT, I still had a long way to go to finish a campaign.

I've been bouncing between Darkest Dungeon and Starcraft 2 lately. DD has kind of the same failure cascade mechanics that reminisces me of LW2, and Starcraft 2 has a skill ceiling so high I feel I can improve constantly, without having a team to put the blame on like on MOBAs or shooters. Only problem is that I'm a slow and steady guy, so SC2's decision making is harrrrd. Plus I tend to tilt and rage :oops:
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

I couldn't take it any more. Started a new Legendary LW2 campaign over the Christmas break. It's insanely difficult.

Feels like coming home... It's nice to have a great game with great mods that make you just love playing. The Walker Texas Ranger voicepacks really help make the game for me, along with all the other great mods by really talented people.

Shout out to Pavonis, and all of the modders everywhere for your awesome work and skill.
prokolyo

Post by prokolyo »

SpinDoctor wrote:I couldn't take it any more. Started a new Legendary LW2 campaign over the Christmas break. It's insanely difficult.

Feels like coming home... It's nice to have a great game with great mods that make you just love playing. The Walker Texas Ranger voicepacks really help make the game for me, along with all the other great mods by really talented people.

Shout out to Pavonis, and all of the modders everywhere for your awesome work and skill.
Could you share your mod list? Always on the hunt for some good mods that I've missed ;)
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

I'd also like to see others modlists if people wants to share

Here's the mods I played with last time I played a bit of LW (like 3-4 months ago):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =918946048
prokolyo

Post by prokolyo »

Perhaps this is not the topic for it, but here is mine ;)

https://pastebin.com/NGV6EPwT
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Despite not having had a current game of LW2 going in probably over a year, XCOM 2 remains in my "currently playing" group in Steam. I'm just not done with it yet. Too much depth, too much to do.
redsky14

Post by redsky14 »

Well, i finished LW2 couple of times, last time i played was more then year ago. Later i played Wotc and ofc, LW2 is better. I had big hope for WoTC LW2, but sadly community failed to do that.

Im glad that some of you put mods for LW2, because i forgot what mods i used when i played. Can you tell me are there any mods in last year, to spice little bit LW2, because, like i said , i played it a lot.

I like some things from Wotc, really sad there is no LW2 for Wotc. Is there any chance that there is mod for Infiltration missions for Wotc? i loved Infiltration m. in LW2.

Also, bad thing is that lots of good moders just jump on Wotc and stop doin things for LW2.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I'm back in business since december. My ISP has gone to crap (I'm from Venezuela, go figure) and I got tired to losing Starcraft 2 games just because disconnects.

So far I did a bronzeman Legend that felt like won and cut it short. Then I took a Legend Ironman one up to August but I got too greedy and did a training mission with Mag and Laser weapons against what turned out to be an Archon, a bunch of snakes and a final pod of mutons (centurion+2xregular) on high ground, with a heavy turret that I just couldn't kill on time. I could have perfectly continued, but I felt so bummed out about losing all those guys (weren't even that great) that I thought I could do better starting over. I also think I got too lucky of a start with 4 scientists (3+1 from BM) in march.

Now I'm on a new one. It's mid april, I got 4 scientists (2+2), but I'm barely starting Adv Laser so it feels more fair. I discovered however that the Evac All mod lets you cheat panic at the evac zone and extracts them all anyways. Now I dunno how I feel about this campaign seeing as I like to keep it as clean as possible.