Adding new names and nicknames

Undershaft

Adding new names and nicknames

Post by Undershaft »

I noticed that the game keeps giving my soldiers the same random nicknames way too often, even the same name to two different soldiers in the same campaign (I'm looking at you Furball and Knockout!). That's why I wanted to add some or change the settings and looked at the file XComGame.int in the Long War workshop folder. I couln't find the namelists for the new classes there, however, even though that's where they are located in vanilla. Does anybody know where to find them?
Undershaft

Re: Adding new names and nicknames

Post by Undershaft »

Found them. Was looking in the wrong folder.
For those who are interested:
Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Localization\XComGame.int
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

What about making everyone's starting name Ablative Armor XXXX? So that they have to earn their name? Even the random troops you save from missions and buy from the black market?
Undershaft

Post by Undershaft »

"His name is Robert Paulson! His name is Robert Paulson!"
Sir_Dr_D

Post by Sir_Dr_D »

There are mods in the workshop that increase the range of names, nicknames, mission names, etc. These are some must have mods where there is no reason not to use them.
Ithuriel

Post by Ithuriel »

TheCiroth wrote:What about making everyone's starting name Ablative Armor XXXX? So that they have to earn their name? Even the random troops you save from missions and buy from the black market?
This is a great idea... I think you could do it if you deleted all possible first names except "Ablative Armor" and then replaced the surnames with 9999 different versions of XXXX- the nicknames would still function as required. ...I think I might do this in my campaign.
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

Ithuriel wrote:
This is a great idea... I think you could do it if you deleted all possible first names except "Ablative Armor" and then replaced the surnames with 9999 different versions of XXXX- the nicknames would still function as required. ...I think I might do this in my campaign.
Yes but where would I do this? Would this be changed in the vanilla XComGame.int file?
Ithuriel

Post by Ithuriel »

TheCiroth wrote:
Ithuriel wrote:
Yes but where would I do this? Would this be changed in the vanilla XComGame.int file?
It was posted earlier in the thread:
Undershaft wrote:For those who are interested:
Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Localization\XComGame.int
Tbh I'm still out so I haven't checked myself yet, but I'd assume that the name list would be there? If not, I'd go looking in the Steam\steamapps\common\Xcom2\XComGame\config folder (I think that's the path, working from memory... could be \Xcom2\config).
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

Na, the name list is not there. Only nick names. Pretty sure it is the second file you linked. that's at least what I am working from.
Undershaft

Post by Undershaft »

The regular names are in the original file located in Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XComGame\Localization\INT.
Long War only edits that entry because nicknames are class dependent, so they need new lists for the new classes.
Regular names remain the same as in vanilla.